"You are so creative!" I have heard that phrase constantly since I was little. DIY, Refashioning, Crafting, Sewing, Woodworking. I love it all! Now I have a place to keep my favorite projects or ideas organized and share them with you!



Friday, September 2, 2011

Indian Tacos, Pico De Gallo, Homemade Chips, and Sopapillas



I haven't been crafting too much, I have been doing a bit of freezer cooking, and mending and deal hunting winter clothing and coats for our crew. I like to be ready pretty far in advance.

But since I hadn't posted for a while I thought I would share with you our dinner last night since it was not something I make very often.

First I had WAY too many tortillas in the house. I went to Sam's Club on their free pass weekend and saw these tortillas that had this little sticker on it that said (take 2) so dumb me fell for this little trick of the store to sell more and bought two packs.

DUMB DUMB DUMB..
So this left me with 40 tortillas. After a few weeks we had used maybe 15 and that is counting a freezer enchilada meal I made.


So I cut my tortillas up, sprayed them with PAM. Flipped them over, spray that side, sprinkled with salt then put them in the oven. Broil on high for 3 min, flip and broil for another 3 min or until golden brown. Don't go too far from the oven, they cook fast.


Of course we needed something to go with that, so I picked tomatoes and green peppers from the garden and used them along with a jalapeno pepper, onion, lime juice, cilantro and garlic to make some awesome pico de gallo.



Make sure you check how spicy your peppers are before you use them to avoid getting things too spicy. I had to add a couple more tomatoes the second day to tone it down a bit.

 Turns out not all jalapenos are created equal.




Now on to the main course!
Indian Tacos
They are not as hard as you think. I had my taco meat already cooked and waiting in the small crock pot so I didn't have to make it the day of.
This left me plenty time to fry the bread.


I do it the easy way.. My mother also used to do this the same way and we would eat fried bread with chili too. All I did was buy a frozen loaf of bread. Let it thaw and rise slightly. Then cut it into pieces, flatten them out, and fry them in oil. Flip when you see the edge start to turn slightly brown, then take them out,  and add a sprinkling of salt.

I never said it was healthy, just tasty! Plus cheap! You can spend $7 on an Indian Taco at a fair or Fall Festival. They really are not that hard to do yourself!

Add cheese, lettuce, sour cream, pico de gallo, whatever you like on your tacos! YUM!

It was in the 90's here last night so the boys were running through the sprinkler to cool off before dinner. So it made sense to have a picnic for our meal. Grandma came over too.


 But the fun doesn't end there with fried bread. You can top it differently to make dessert. Much like sopapillas. I cut some dough pieces smaller and after frying them I topped them with cinnamon, sugar, honey, and chocolate sauce. Then I had ice cream and sliced strawberries to add as well.

Dessert 

I don't think I need to tell you how good it was.




Linking up here:


. Tip Junkie handmade projects

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing. I have pinned this to make very soon. Thanks!

    If you have a spare minute I would love it if you would enter my giveaway for a custom made pinstripe skirt with pockets.

    http://theorchardinbloom.blogspot.com/2011/08/pinstripe-skirt-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete