"You are so creative!" I have heard that phrase constantly since I was little. DIY, Refashioning, Crafting, Sewing, Woodworking. I love it all! Now I have a place to keep my favorite projects or ideas organized and share them with you!



Monday, October 18, 2010

Buzz Lightyear Costume.

Photobucket

Buzz is a popular character this year and you can tell because Buzz costumes don't come cheap, even for the ones that won't last the night.

Lucky for my niece her aunt was on the job. This is the second time I have made a Buzz Lightyear costume. My first was for my daughter when she was 2. We are big Buzz fans here.

Now my girl has switched to all things fairy and her cousin who is the same age has made the switch this year from all things princess to Buzz. Talk about role reversal!!

But my girl still has a huge heart or Buzz! She made sure I did this costume up right complete with Jet Pack and retractable wings. Wings that she didn't have when she was two and never noticed, but she informed me that any 5 year old would totally notice wings were missing and thus absolutely needed.

Photobucket

What I used:
white cardboard boxes
craft paint
white and red duct tape
two white sweatshirts
one purple hoodie
black polar fleece
elastic
Buzz Lightyear plastic chest plate

How:
I cut the hood off the purple shirt, and sewed it to one of the white sweatshirts. I used the other shirt and made it into white sweatpants using this method. (white sweatpants for kids are pretty hard to find. Sweatshirts are too for that matter. I lucked out at a thrift store and found two sweatshirts with tags.
Photobucket

Then I took the polar fleece and made a waist tube with elastic in it to go over the sweatshirt/sweatpants combo.

Photobucket

Then I needed to start on the wings. I found a DIY tutorial on Instructables that was perfect. Of course I had to improve upon the design by decorating with the correct colors but all in all it was genius and I am so glad I found it.

Photobucket

I just copied the basic shapes they had and kept going and it all worked out. I used a few of my daughter's buzz toys to get some good jet pack details. Each toy was a little different so I just went with what looked best to me.

Photobucket
I attached some elastic arm straps which was different from the instructables plans and used elastic to attach the wings so they will give a bit more if yanked by a classmate.

The best part is....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
They are retractable!!!

Here is a side view.
Photobucket

The plastic Buzz chest plate was a thrift store find I picked up for cheap a few years ago. If i didn't have it, I would make a similar one out of polar fleece and sew it to the front of the sweatshirt.


Photobucket
A cute costume..

ready for lift-off. I hope you like it Autumn!
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing not only sweet muffins but also this cute costume at A Crafty Soiree! It came out great and I love that it will help keep Buzz warm while out picking up treats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just made these (yes, I know, a little behind the times...) and I can't figure out how to get the wings to stay out. I've tried using rubber bands, elastic hair bands, and regular sewing elastic (1/4" or so), but either they pull out of the cardboard or the wings flop down.

    Any advice?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try using Velcro- Home Depot has the strong stripes

      Delete
  3. How do you get the wings to stay up?! This is awesome but i cant figure it out

    ReplyDelete