"You are so creative!" I have heard that phrase constantly since I was little. DIY, Refashioning, Crafting, Sewing, Woodworking. I love it all! Now I have a place to keep my favorite projects or ideas organized and share them with you!



Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Girls Dress from Men's T-shirt

Photobucket

I know I told some of you I was done sewing for a while, but it rained all day, the kids took good naps and I remembered I had supplies to do this at my house! What else was I supposed to do. All the laundry was done already! That was yesterday's rainy day project. So here we go!

Of course the idea came from MADE here.

Photobucket

Here is my before. I almost forgot to take a picture of it! See it is actually already cut!

And after

Photobucket

What you need:
Men's T-Shirt
Elastic Thread
Sewing Machine
Scissors
Other regular sewing supplies.




Photobucket

Cut off the sleeves (save them you will need them later) and collar so that it is straight across. Like shown above.

Photobucket

Now you need to take your elastic thread and hand wind it onto your bobbin. Fill it up. I had to refill it once during this project. You want to pull it tight as you wind it on the bobbin. Do no use your machine to fill you bobbin it will not work. So others have said.

Then stitch around the top. I did five rows. It is supposed to be bumpy. The first row may be a bit straight but the more rows you do the more gathered it gets. I did five rows. I used the edge of my presser foot as the guide between rows.

Measure down and do the same for the waist of the dress. You will need to draw a chalk line around your shirt to start. Then you can follow the other stitch lines. Don't try without a line guide. You will get lost! I did, it was all crooked,and had to find my seam ripper and start again. I did five rows for the waist as well.

Once the top and waist are done, you will need to turn it inside out and fit it onto your model. This will let you know how wide it needs to be. You can do this before sewing your lines but I didn't happen to do it that way. Pin sides so the garment fits then stitch the side seams. (take it in so to speak.)


Photobucket

Cut one sleeve into strips that are about 1 inch wide. They will be circles.

Photobucket

Cut them near the seem so that they are long.

Photobucket

Then grab both ends and pull. They should roll onto themselves and make strings.

Photobucket

Tie a knot at one end and sew untied end to top of your dress. Do this four times. Two on front and two on the back. Then tie ends together and you are done.

I also made one more string and tied knots at both ends. I used this for a bow at the front of the waist of the dress. It is just for looks, but I like how it looks!

Photobucket

Photobucket

My girl also refashioned the end of the sleeve into a matching headband! That's my girl! No sewing needed! Fit perfectly!

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment: